It’s easy to believe that the days of analog TVs are over due to the high demand for digital TV and broadcasting. This, however, is not the case because many of these analog devices are still in use. Therefore, it necessary for analog TV owners to make use of digital converter boxes in order to obtain all the programming and features lost during the conversion to digital.
For instance, those with digital boxes get access to a higher number of channel choices, higher sound and picture quality, favorite channel listings, auto-power settings, programmed and real-time recording, on-screen programming, and built-in media players.
We set out to review five best digital converter boxes to help you choose the one that best serves your needs.
Best Digital Converter Boxes of 2019
|Leelbox Converter Box||9.2|
|Digital Stream DTX9950||8.7|
1. Mediasonic HomeWorx HW-150PVR – Best for Playing Multimedia
It is effortless to install due to the user-friendly design and can be connected using the HDMI, Composite, Component, or Coaxial port.
- Parental control function
- Offers closed caption
- Provides a favorite channel list
- Emergency Alert System
- TV Tuner function
- Electronic Program Guide and program information
- Schedule and Real-Time recording that requires a 2.0 or 3.0 external USB hard drive
- Dated user interface
- Cannot watch tv while recording another program
2. RCA DTA-800B1 – An Extremely Versatile Digital Converter
The RCA converter does not take up much space as it is just slightly larger than the average book. The box has dual position functionality to fit your home’s entertainment area, meaning you can stand it up vertically or lay it horizontally. A universal remote is provided for both the converter box and the TV.
- Displays all multicast channels
- Displays all digital TV formats
- Easy to set-up and use
- Coaxial output
- Unreliable unit
- Inefficient remote control
- Antenna sold separately
3. Leelbox Digital Converter Box – Best for Recording ProgramsThis converter box provides free local television channels by interpreting and deciphering over-the-air ATSC digital TV broadcast for analog televisions. Video output supports 1080p Full HD which isn’t seen in many lower cost boxes. Moreover, users can easily select and view pictures, movie files, recorded television programs as well as listen to MP3 files from removable USB storage devices. We recommend making the most of the video recording function by attaching a USB hard drive to the converter instead of a USB flash drive.
- Supports subtitles, Teletext, and multiple languages
- Powerful and highly effective 7-day EPG function
- PVR lets you record TV programs in USB removable media
- Low cost
- Insufficient memory
- Tacky keypad controls
4. Viewtv AT-263 – Best for HD Video
Never worry about what your children see by utilizing this converter’s channel blocking function. Stay up to date of any significant incidents in your area with the Emergency Alert System which picks up any alerts sent out by local news stations.
- Favorite channel list
- Parental control function
- USB multimedia player
- Timed start-up and shutdown
- Full functioning remote control
- Great value for money
- Low-quality construction
- Slow firmware
- Poor user interface
5. Digital Stream DTV Converter – Best for Multilingual Menus
- Features a favorite channel list
- Parental control function is available
- High-quality composite video and L/R audio output
- The screen display menu is offered in English and Spanish
- Well-designed interface
- No HDMI support
- Mediocre picture quality
- Requires additional AAA batteries
After the transition from analog to digital broadcasting, many TV users weren’t able to watch their favorite shows or stay up to date on local affairs. Thanks to the various digital converter boxes mentioned above, viewers have regained control of their entertainment and can utilize an even higher number of features than those they had during the analog days.
No two TV viewers are the same as they have different preferences, devices, and technological know-how. However, we’re confident that one of the listed devices will be the best digital converter box for you.